Coping Skills is a technique utilized to overcome anxiety, depression, sadness or any negative emotions to oneself overtime. In reality, no matter how happy, resilient and strong the person are, it can affect someone’s personality based on the difficult time an individual is facing to.
We develop coping skills either subconsciously or consciously. Sometimes people initiate coping skills to positive or negative ones.
Positive coping skills examples are;
- Good diet
- Interpersonal relationship
- Playing musical instrument
Negative coping skills examples are;
- Street drugs
- Trouble Engagement
- Stimulant Taker
- Severe Alcoholism
- problem avoidance
How to develop positive coping skills?
- jot done activities you find enjoyable
- engage in a meaningful and functional work task
- Find time for self – relaxation
- Connecting to loved ones
- Share spare time by volunteering to the community
- Redirecting negativity to positive vibes
- Execute tasks that your body are able to handle
- Know your limitations/boundaries
- Keeping your strong Faith, values and beliefs
- Be kind and calm
- Reflection to be in someone’s shoes/experiences for sense of emotions
- Be a giver not a taker
They are still more list of coping techniques/skills that we can make use of now a days. Henceforth, by practicing these strategies, you’ll find yourself skilled in dealing to stressful event.